Saturday, March 29

La Vida Universitaria

ENTRESEMANA: The Wednesday night cena tradition lives on.

I haven’t had a quiet moment to myself in months. Studying for midterms, going to international student events, competing in sports, and teaching my girlfriend English (fruitlessly, I might add) all make up the university lifestyle at UC3M which leaves very few moments for meditation and reflection. I’m glad Facebook is keeping a steady record of my study abroad experience because the time is flying by and sometimes I don’t even know what day of the week it is. I’m halfway through my stay and I leave in nine weeks, though it feels like I just got here.
     Having survived midterms, I can offer a few tips for students who are planning on studying abroad. At this university, there exists a treasure trove of solved problem sets and exhaustive study guides that is guarded carefully by a network of Spanish guardianes. I would say it’s well worth your time to befriend your classmates, especially those wearing a Castilla-La Mancha emblem on their right shoulder (see right). Just kidding! Look for the kids who get called on to solve problems in front of the class and end up with the right answer without doing the right preceding steps.
     Another point to consider is what you want to get out of your time abroad. For me, this is my first and likely last extended stay in Europe, so it’s worth my while to travel almost every weekend. This is practically impossible if you take notoriously difficult classes like international trade and econometrics. Matt studied his butt off for 2 weeks and got a 60 and 45 percent on the midterms for those classes. He’s a smart kid, so this was likely due to A) not being a part of the Spanish Knights Templar Inner Circle of Solved Problem Sets and B) there’s not a lot of help to be found outside of the classroom, especially for the extremely challenging classes. By contrast, all my midterms were “tipo test,” which means multiple choice, and they were definitely manageable except for tricky Spanish vocabulary from which the professor prohibited me using a Spanish-English dictionary.  
     In other news, I had the chance to give a presentation in a bilingual high school about why one should study abroad. The kids were really funny and it was an awesome experience. I will post the video once it’s uploaded to the website.
     Also, an exceptional opportunity to consider if you’re studying abroad in Spain is the Diploma de Español como Lengua Extranjera, otherwise known as the DELE, which is a Spanish language certification. I recently finished my preparation course and am currently touching up my written and oral exposition skills before taking the exam on April 11. I will be taking the C1 exam, which is the second highest level and is the minimum that is required to work in the Spanish government. It’s fairly difficult, which has motivated me to study my grammar like never before. I have often complained that what one learns in a university language course has little to do with how native speakers actually converse. The irony is that now I find myself striving to avoid the beloved slang I’ve painstakingly learned and instead use exclusively formal, academic language. But let me tell you, come April 12, I’ll get right back to my reggaetonero roots, güey!
     This past Saturday, there was a noteworthy riot in the heart of Madrid. I saw the demonstration during the day when it consisted of thousands of mostly sane, slightly elderly people protesting loudly but peacefully. However, as night fell, the violent hooligans descended like a hive of agitated wasps upon the city and the resulting chaos is something to behold:



     To conclude, one pattern that I’ve observed here in Madrid is the fact that America is in fashion. Everywhere I look, I see NBA and NFL jerseys, sweaters embroidered with the American flag, t-shirts of The Ramones and Jack Daniel’s, hats with NYPD… the list goes on and on. This contradicts the notion that Spanish citizens don’t like Americans, because in reality our culture pervades theirs on many levels and representing the stars and stripes is trendy. It’s rare that I don’t hear at least one comment anytime I wear my Boston Celtics t-shirt, and it’s always a great conversation starter. So even though advisors will tell you to leave your loud American clothing at home, I suggest you be proud of where you’re from and represent your home colors, because the people here admire America and appreciate our culture.

PRIMOS: My best friends from Asunción, Paraguay and my fiercest fútbol competitors





No comments:

Post a Comment